One of the strongest points that followers of Karna [ as invincible] have is the words of Krishna praising Karna ,on the eve of death of Ghatotkach . Krishna say’s
- Karna is given to austereties
- Karna is one abiding by bramhins and Devatas
- Karna is not given to falsehood .
- [He says to PArshuram ,I am anatha , all orphans and other creatures as well are children of GOD,You are GOD and YOU are Bramhin , thus I said I am bramhin ]
All this because He has Kavach kundal.
What was so great about Kavach Kundal . It was an armour given as boon to KARNA by SURYA .
Can a boon by Surya make Karna invincible even to Devatas and Narayana ? let us analyse ;
- Nivat kavach rakshas too had boon of kavach , Nothing could pierce the kavach . Kavach could not be cut or destroyed by Devatas . This was the boon given to nivat kavach by BRAMHA .
- Indra gives his vajrayudh and Kirit [ hence ARJUN is called KIRITI] to ARJUN and sends him to fight with nivat kavach . Arjun destroys the Kavach of nivath kavach and makes Indra happy . [ boon is overtaken]
- Jarasandha had boon of SHiva , never to die and be immortal , but BHeema kills him [ boon is surpassed ] .
- JAyadrath had boon that he would be invincible to all PAndavs , but as Pashupat astra was given to Arjun , Shiva made it clear that except Arjun he would be invincible over Pandavs but only for a day . Bheema earlier had overtaken Shiva boon , but here HE let the boon happen , for Abhimanyu had to die .[ boon honoured ]
- Kaalyavan had a boon by SHiva that He would Kill Krishna , but contrarily he died at the sight of MUCHIKUNDA . [boon overtaken][ boon to muchikunda honoured]
- Samshaptakas had boon from Shiva [ not to lose in a battle ] but lose terribly to Arjun [ boon overtaken]
- Kritavarma had a boon from Krishna , that he would be Invincible on a chosen day [ boon honoured ]
- Satyaki had a boon from Krishna , that he would be invincible for a day [ boon honoured when he defeats all the kauravas]
- Bhagadatta had a vaishnav astra from VARAHA Vishnu [ boon honoured ,as no PAndav ventured as long as he had the astra , when Krishna took on himself , he was killed by PAndav ] boon nullified .
- Shrutdhanva had a mace which would make him invicible but would hit him back if he used it on unarmed , it fell on Krishna and his head blew up . [ boon nullified ]
SO at times boons were honoured and at times boons were dishonured to show that KRISHNA is the master of the UNIVERSE and not the bestower of these boons . Thus he indicrimintaley ,randomly , honoured or dishonoured at his will . The fact that boons were dishonoured shows mere boons does not make one INVINCIBLE .
Krishna’s Sudarshan has never come back without destroying the enemy when used . SO karna cannot be immuneto it , As even greater Rakshasas having boons of invincibilty are known to have succumbed to SUDARSHAN CHAKRA . Bhagavat is testimony to it , Entire puranas sing glory of VISHNU with CHAKRA having never failed . Krishna has shrouded SUN himself with the Chakra [ jayadrath killing ], when SUN himself was overpowered , where his boons stand .
KARNA is mere a mortal and pitiable mortal at that .
WIth KAVACH kundal on he was vanquished by many . There is a incident in the mahabharata where , bheema hits the kavach during RAJASUYA digvijay , it hurts KArna to the point of death , just to honour Parshuram’s words and Surya’s boon , he does not break it .
Karna accepts the soverignty of YUDHISTHIR and pays taxes . RAjsuya yagya is completed .[ without KArna accepting defeat , this Yagnya would not have deemed complete as Raajsuya is meant for rulership of all the world , KArna was part of world .
No great warrior gives /accepts Superiority till his life/death , only when HE has love of LIFE , he accepts defeat . Karna feared losing LIFE despite KAVACH KUNDAL . This is also reflected in GANDHARVA episode , KARNA was captivated , a warrior will give life rather than get captivated , One gets captivated when he is helpless and fears LIfe . otherwise war takes place unto death .
SO kavach and Kundal were not something that could save KArna’s LIFE . Sudarshan is a highest weapon , its use would definitely KIll KARNA , but as lord VOWED not to use weapons , using SUDARSHAN was unwarranted . ALSO as PArshuram Lord has promised protection to KARNA as long as he is without jealousy . BUT KARNA could never get rid of JEALOUSY towards ARJUN to the point he could not abide by LORD KRISHNA and KUNTI and SURYA [ the giver of KAVACH] .
It was KArna’s inability to overcome SHADVAIRI [ KAAM KRODHA LOBHA MADA MOHA MATSARYA ] that made him lose despite all the boons . ALl the good fortunes became useless ,
- His repentance of not having Drona’s tutorship was well compensated by PARSHURAM [ Drona ‘s guru ] that made him equal to Drona himself [ is it not good fortune ]
- He was made KING of ANGA even before YUDHISTHIRA could acquire a KINGDOM [ is it not good fortune ]
- His skills were acknowledged and was parised everywhere [ is it not good fortune ]
- He acquired ANother half of ANGA rajya from JARASANDHA [ is it not good fortune ]
- EVEN when PAndavs were langusihing in forests , HE always had a Kingdom of his own and an emperor as a freind [ is it not good fortune ]
- He had the protection of highest KInd [ KAVACH and KUndal] is it not good fortune .
- His father SURYA always spoke to him in the times of distress [ Is it not good fortune ]
- He was recognised by the whole world as a potential rival to ARJUN by whole world [ takshak’s son chose him to take revenge ] is it not good fortune . [ getting support of enemies enemy ]
- He was even offered a chance to Rule over his Rival ARJUN by KRISHNA [ is it not a good fortune ]
- Except for the sanskara of SUTA all his life he led a life akin to a glorified KSHATRIYA .[ is it not a good fortune ]
He turned a blind eye to all these fortunes and out of ego , pride and jealousy , sided with the evil and lost all the fortune and perished . KAvach KUndal were for his safety till He grew into an adult , boons are meant for doing good in this world , when one misuses them they are taken back . INDRA took back the KAVACH because KArna had to be killed for his misdeeds . Boon of SURYA would be falsified . GOD CHOSE TO HONOUR SUN . [ ALSO IT SAVED KARNA FROM UTTER DISGRACE again good fortune ].
MORAL : Never succum to shadvairi[ KAAM KRODHA LOBHA MADA MOHA MATSARYA] , all your good fortunes notwithstanding you shall perish unaided by LORD KRISHNA .