Lord Ram advises Laxman thus :
A king must always look out for the strength and weakness of the twelve types of Kingdom around him known as mandala.
- Once own Kingdom’s friends
- The kingdom’s enemy .
- The friend of a friend is also a friend
- The friend of an enemy is enemy
- The enemy of Friend is Enemy
- The enemy of enemy is Friend
This is ardha mandal based on self . Similar other six crop up when you consider
- The vijigeesh the nation in question
- the Parshnigrah the kingdom by the border.
- Akrand the enemy of Parshnigraha .
- The Friend of the Akrand is asaar .
- The kingdom in between the self and Enemy is madhyam
- The kingdoms beyond the mandal is Udaseen
these are the six qualities necessary for a King [ Shaadgunya]
When there is prospect of a war with a stronger one its always better to make sandhi . Total sixteen varieties of sanshi exist
But Broadly Sandhi is four types
- paraspar upakaar
One must not make Sandhi when opponents involve child ,old ,sick, shunned by relatives , timid , one who inspires timidity ,greedy, ingreeded , dispassionate , fiend , unstable mind ,one who insults dev and bramhana , unfortunate , non believer of destiny ,affected by famine , misuses power,one who has not travelled out , always surrounded by enemy , flowing against the time , and one who has left dharma and Truth . These twenty people should always be opposed and fought without striking truce-Sandhi .
Mutually harming each other will create animosity -Vigraha . One who is equipped with the strength and knowledge of time and space . one who aspires his progress , and one who is troubled by others can make vigraha in this world .
Kingdom , women , place, country , stealing of data and force , pride , honour , terrorising , destruction of knowledge , dharma and selfrespect ; fortune , insult to a friend , destruction of relatives , cruelty towards animals , polution of geo political allignment , adamancy of superpower are the root causes of war .
Animosity are of five types ;
- Natural animosity [ evil vs Good]
- Material territorial dispute
- owing to speech
- owing to women
- owing to crime
These should be pacified appropriately through intelligent solutions .
- When only little benefit arises out of dispute
- or no result arises post dispute ,
- or presently dispute may give rise to adverse results ,
- may also be futile in future
- or adverse in both future and present ,
- or dispute is generated by unknown enemies ,
- if dispute is for others
- if dispute is for the sake of a women
- during misfortunes
- if for friendship but showing no immediate results
- no hopes of benefic results in future
- long lasting dispute [possibility]
- against bramhins
In all above forms vigraha should be given up .
King should do only those karma which is beneficial in present as well as future . When army is strong well fed , and friends , akrand and asaar are all in favorable positions towards the King and enemy army is in opposite state only then Vigraha should be made .
Yaan is the advent of army , It is of five types
When owing to mutual destruction shatru and vizigishu both stop fighting then they are known to be in the state of AASAN .
AASAN is also of five types aka YAAN .
Taking aposition in between the two armies in aasan is Dwaidhibhav , Such a king should arrive with louder announcement with a kee eye on the both the opponents like a crow . If at the instant both the armies break out into war again then one must join the stronger of the two .
If both do not allow to join then one must join the enemy of the two and make hi more stronger ,
If one gets into enemity with a stronger man and is hit badly and owing to circumstances cannot retaliate , then one must take shelter [ sanshraya] of the well bred , fortunate , dynamic strong king . At the instant , one must exhibit , extreme loyalty , obedience and gratitude towards the protector .
- Aries leo , scorpio , capricorn , aquarius , if one of these occupy lagna and moon also is in other one of them then there will be disastrous war .
- if moon and sun occupy own rashis then there will be sandhi
- if malefics are in 3 ,5 ,6 12 then there will be yaan of the shatru sena .
- if malefic is in fourth house from lagna then satru sena will not come ie no YAANA .
- if moon and Sun are in each others houses then there will be aasan among the two armies owing to mutual destruction and heavy casualties.
- if lagna and tenth and fourth house are heavily afflicted in yuddha prashna then the king will lose his kingdom and take shelter else where .
- On the contrary if benefics are in tenth house then the King will win and gain wealth in the war .
The above excerpt is from Agni puraana