पान्त्वस्मान पुरुहूतवैरिबलवन्मातन्गमाद्यद्घटा कुम्भोच्छाद्रिविपाट्नाधिकपटुप्रत्यैकवज्रायिता:॥
श्रीमत्कण्ठीर्वास्य प्रतत सुनखरा दारितारातिदूर-प्रध्वस्तध्वान्तशान्तप्रविततमनसा भाविता नाकिव्रुन्दै:॥
पदछेद: ————- पान्तु , अस्मान , पुरुहूतवैरिबलवन्मातन्गमाद्यद्घटा कुम्भोच्छाद्रिविपाट्नाधिकपटुप्रत्यैकवज्रायिता: , श्रीमत्कण्ठीर्वास्य , प्रतत , सुनखरा , दारितारातिदूर , प्रध्वस्तध्वान्तशान्तप्रविततमनसा , भाविता:, नाकिव्रुन्दै:
अन्वय : ——— प्रतत श्रीमत्कण्ठीर्वास्य पुरुहूतवैरिबलवन्मातन्गमाद्यद्घटा कुम्भोच्छाद्रिविपाट्नाधिकपटुप्रत्यैकवज्रायिता: दारितारातिदूर , प्रध्वस्तध्वान्तशान्तप्रविततमनसा नाकिव्रुन्दै: भाविता: सुनखरा अस्मान पान्तु
MEANING : –
- ‘pratat ‘ residing[ being present ] At all times and all places with complete auspicious qualities
- ‘srimatkanTirvasya ‘ – srimat , along with LAXMI ‘kanTirav ‘ with a lion’s face ‘asya ‘ oh LAXMI NARSIMHA
- puruhUtvairibalavanmatangamadyodghaTakumbhochchadrivipaatnadhikpaTupratyekvajrayita: puruhut – Indra vairi – enemy [ enemy of Indra are daityas ] balavat large and strong
- matangamadyadghaTa – with inflated egos like a bunch of intoxicated elephants kumbha – neck of [ such elephants ] as such ‘ucchchadri ‘ mountains [large and high ] in the matter of such mountains or for such mountains , like a vajrayudha [ weapon of INDRA ]
- nakivrundaiyi: – naki means devatas [ one residing in swarga ] vrundaiyi: – group s
- darita – destroyed thus , arati – the qualities like lust anger etc which are like enemies
- duur – far away , pradhwasta – driven , dhwaant – darkness called ignorance , shaant – having qualities of peace and calmness , pravi – in LORD parmatma , tat- enlightened [spread] , manasa – in the mind , bhavita: – meditated upon thus , tav – your , sunakhara – beautiful great nails ,, pantu – protect, asmaan – me !!!!!!
- There are three types of VYAPTI :
NARAYANA is present everywhere , there is no place in entire creation where he does not exist. This is deshavyapti .
HAri is present at all times , before creation , during creation and after creation and after pralaya as well . There is no time when LORD is not there . This is known as kaalvyapti .
HAri has all the auspicious qualities , No good quality ever exists anywhere which is not present in LORD . And all these qualities are ever present in him without diminishing . This is known as gunavyapti .
Thus as he has three types of vyapti ever Lord NARSIMHA is called as pratat .
Hirankashyap had asked for a boon that he cannot die at the hands of either animal or manushya . It was imperative that he should be killed but at the same time boons should also be honoured . SO lord took the form of NARSIMHA , half lion [ above neck ] and half human [ below neck ] . This form can neither be called as animal nor human . Thus with this rupa Hiranyakashyap could be killed as well boon given to him be protected . This form of LORD along with LAXMI is known as SrimatkanTiravaasya .
Lords’ nails are not PRAAKRUT [ not made of any natural elements , ie bones , cartilage etc are forms of natural products , as they occur in nature prakriti , human nails are praakrut ]But LORD’s nails existed even before creation[ creation is done through prakriti ie it is made up of satva rajas tamas ] . As it existed even before creation [ srishti] it cannot be of satva rajas tamas . It is apraakrut .
It is made of gnanandaityadigunayukta . ie It is made of qualities like gnana , annda etc . Thus these nails are atishreshTa ie very great and reverential . Thus it is not termed as just nails ‘ NAKHA ‘ but as ‘ SUNAKHAR ” Acharya has described these nails with two adjectives , beautiful adjectives . VISHESHANA.
- These nails of LORD NARSIMHA has immense capabilities to remove all the miseries .
- second vishesha is it can grant all the wishes .
The demons [ group of demons ] can be compared to intoxicated elephants . Their inflated egos [ durahankara ] can be compared to the KUMBHASTHALA [ neck ] . These inflated egos of DEMONS are like kumbhsthala of elephants of size of mountains . Lions’ nails tears apart these kumbhasthala . This tearing apart is like destroying of mountains by INDRA by his vajrayudha , All the nails together of lion can perhaps kill an elephant . But LORD’s single nail is itself capable of destroying the mountain like garva[ill pride ] of demons and kills them effortlessly . Thus NARSIMHA’s nails are more powerful than Vajrayudha and can deter all the demons .LET this NAIL protect us from all the miseries and difficulties and that those of devotees . Thus prays ACHARYA SRIMADANANDATEERTHA .[ this describes first adjective ]
Prior to meditation on LORD NARSIMHA , one must have mind equipped with four qualities .
- it should be free from enemies like anger ,lust etc .
- It should have driven away the darkness known as ignorance and foolhardy attitude [ vipareet gnyana ]
- It should have inner peace and calmness [ Shanti ]
- It should have complete concentartion [ ekagrata ]
When all these qualities have been accomplished then mind can prepare itself to meditate on LORD and HIS attributes . All the deities from BRAMHA onwards equip themselves with such a mind and pray NARSIMHA’s NAILS to get their miseries solved and wishes fulfilled . Let such nail of LORD NARSIMHA protect me under all circumstances.
note : THERE is no difference between NAIL of NARSIMHA and LORD NARSIMHA himself , as there is abheda, among all the nails just one nail itself is also addressed as NARSIMHA and prayed upon through this SHLOKA by MADHVACHARYA .
next post second shloka shall be dwelt with .