There are 14 types of water body fit for taking bath . they are
the jalashay from 1 -5 are uttama , 6-10 are madhyam and 11-14 are adhama . One must do nitya naimiitika and kaamya snana in these jalashaya only .
1> It should be flowing all the three times a day [morning evening and night ] such a flow is known as jalasantati or jalapravaah . This jalasantati must begin from some mountain [parvat ] ,it should end in samudra ocean . Such a water flow jalasantati is known as MAHANADI . the snana here will destroy all the sins .
2> Jalasantati beginning from a mountain parvat should travel atleast 100 yojana before reaching ocean . such a jalapravaah is known as mahaanadi .
From eastern Mountains if jalasantati begins and ends in western ocean [paschim samudra ] is known as NAD
beginning from a mountain and ending in some river or taking a still form at some place on earth and ending inside the earth bhumi is known as Srota
The water body circular in shape either on the top of ,mountain or at the botto of the mountain , which never dries is known as sarovar . These are very wide and have many lotus in it .
Either in open place on earth or on the monutains when the banks of such water body are automatically generated by devatas and water in it never dies having broad mouth of the body with large banks natural in shape in known as devakhaat ..
For the benfit of the village or for agricultural activity , those flow created by humans diverting water from the river is known as NAAL .
In a village or mountain or in a forest , the water body in the shape of half moon [ardhchandra akaar ] is known as taTaak .
There should be four corners for the water body , no steps and banks should be formed with stones ,big or small full of water is known as KunDA
the water flow should begin from a hole or opening in a mountain high above the sealevel , it should fall from a great height and fall on the ground and then without stopping there it should flow continuously .. such a jalasantati is known as Dhaara
The water body as wide as five meters ,circular in shape ,built with wood and bricks by humans full of water such a jalashay is known as koopa .
water body in a desert under sand atleast 3 feet wide and full of water naturally is known as bila by the scholars .
the lengthier canal in a mountain or forest or on a tree or natural wooden creek with evry little flowing water but never drying is known as koteer .
either in monutain or at some place on earth , little by little water should get accumulated naturally and then it should start flowing as canal ..this is known as prasravan ..
In a garden or in aplace where cows tread , the small pond craeted with bricks or wood for animals to drink water is known as oodapaan
one which has natural waves , which acnnot be easily crossed , whose depth acnnot be easily estimated and one which is surrounded by a island or land all through its banks is known as SAMUDRA .
Punya equivalent to One year continuous fasting will be got by taking bath in GANGA .. half of it will be the punya in Godavari snana .
Mahanadi snana phala
1.chandrayan Vrat 2. three krichcha vrata 3.10000 gayatri japa 4. Mahanadi snana all these are equivalent .
Mahanadi Taartamya .
- saraswati nadi
- yamuna nadi
these four rivers are knwon as best among mahanadi ..
Ganga nadi immidiately destroys the sins as one takes bath .. saraswati nadi destroys after three days of bath .. narmada and yamuna destroys after 5 days of snana . All teertha created by Devatas and Bramhanas give same phala as mahanadi snana ..
Those river that does not meet ocean gives phala of each snana equivalent to 5 days of ordinary snana at home .
Those river that meet the ocean gives 15 days worth of snana phala by one snana in it … The snana is samudra itself will give one months snana phala .
The water quenched from a well is inferior to natural water inside the earth , Prasravan water is better than water in the bhumi . Sarovar is better than prasrvan .rievr water is more punyakar than sarovar . Teertha jal is more shreshtha than nadijal .Godavari water is more punyakar than all the waterbodies .
Deva rushi nirmita many teertha are fit for snana .. water from bila prasravan koteer and oodupaan shoudl not be used directly they must be taken in bucket and then used .. when there is dearth of water in any water body , they shoudl be taken ina bucket and use .. but such a water in patra can be only fit for sandhyavandan but will not give any punya for snana ..
Puraan prasiddha KIngs and other characters like muni devtas et who have created koop tataak etc are alwasy fit for snana .
ONE must not take bath in a water bodies created by those
- who are lesser in caste to ourselves and have earnt money in wrong way ..
- who are of same caste but have fallen due to non carrying of the duties of varnashram ..
- Vardhushika vrutti .. one who has earned money through commisions or by selling goods at a high price , which he himself has purchased at very low cost . such a trade is knwon as Vardooshika and is totally decried in shastras ,.. such a vaardhosshika vrutti person is disallowed in all ceremonies and food partaken in his house leads to all types of sins .
- If for any reason unknwoingly a bath has been taken in such a place then one must do prayashchitta and krichhvrata .
- Such a bath in nindita jalashya does not give any punya but gives the sins of the owner of the jalashay ..
- If one has to take the snana in a jalashay created by others eligible , than one must enter the jalashay and throw away atleast five or ten mushthi soil from it …and then take bath .. else one gets the sins of the owner .
- those jalashay which has been donated for saarvajanik use , taking bath in such jalashay one need not throw away mushthi soil ..,
- the jalashay to be created for public use must be constructed with two sanskarra a> through vedic injunctions b> it shoudl be donated in a vedic manner as daana for public use . After that the owner must never take bath in that jalashay
- The jalashay where there is no water enough to take a dip should not be used for snana .
- when there is scope and availability of deva nirmit better jalashay for snana , in such situations one must not take resort to jalashay constructed by others .The vaapi koopa tataak constructed by mletchas should never be used for snana or drinking . this gives mahadosha .. only prajapatya vrata ..this if done with knwoledge of such occurence .. if done unknowingly then one must do upavaasa for one complete day to get shuddhi and then with bramha koorcha panchagavya praashan one will get purification .. one need not do prajapatya in such case . So says Vignyaneshwar rishi .